Shortly after the town was founded, the first inhabitants of Ivanjica realized that it was necessary, at least, one school to be opened in the town. The oldest preserved document related to Ivanjica school is the letter from the captain of the Moravica District Simo Jaković to the bishop Nikifor Maksimović on 25th July 1834. In the letter, the demand for a teacher was made by Simon Jaković. At the beginning of 1835, a teacher was appointed to Ivanjica, but there has been no information that he worked in Ivanjica. According to the findings, it is considered that the first teacher of Ivanjica was Radič Marković, who commenced his work in the summer of 1836. Until 1844, the school worked in the municipal building (in the office of the police), and in private homes, so that the first school building in the town would have been completed on the banks of the Moravica River in the autumn of 1846 (of course, from wood, wattle and daub or post and pane structure). It was opposite the church. Two teachers worked at Ivanjica schools from 1850 to the 1860s when the third teacher came, and from 1888 the fourth one arrived. The reason was the constant increase in the number of students. In the summer of 1866, a primary school for girls was opened, and the first teacher was Marija Stevanović. The school and teachers had a great importance for the cultural and social life of the small town, so the teacher Svetozar Popović takes all the credit for the opening of the first cultural institution, Ivanjica Reading Room (in 1868).

Ten years after that, the school building turned out to be useless, so from the 1870s to the 1890s, classes were conducted in private houses, magaze (food storage sheds) and taverns. The construction of the school building was planned even before The Battle on Mountain Javor (Javor War) in 1876, so the land was bought from the neighbour of the old school. The teacher Josif Vuković (1883) was named the first Ivanjica primary school headteacher. The first School Board at Ivanjica school was established that year. The new school building, which adorns the center of Ivanjica today, was officially opened on 23rd April (6th May) in 1894. There was not such a building even in much bigger places in Serbia! It has still been serving the same purpose today - it has been a secondary school for the last 50 years or more. The number of students increased and Šume Municipality School Commune with primary school was founded in 1909, which included students on the right side of the Moravica River. In Ivanjica, as well as in the other Serbian towns, The First World War, in addition to other fears, stopped the work of schools. Shortly after the liberation and continuation of work, on 2nd November 1922, Ivanjica and the school of Šume Municipality were merged, and at the same time the primary schools for boys and girls were integrated. As early as in 1928, the school of Šume Municipality was separated from Ivanjica school. On 3rd December 1930, the kindergarten was opened at the school where a nursery school teacher Marija Necević worked and it became the part of Ivanjica primary school and it worked for more than forty-five years as the part of the primary school.

Before and after the end of the First World War, talented children of Ivanjica continued their education in Čačak, Užice, or even Belgrade. After numerous initiatives, Ivanjica students had the opportunity to continue their education in their town after completing their primary education: The Lower Ivanjica Grammar School was opened in 1920. It worked for more than three years, and the only headteacher was Radul Perišić. During that time, 188 students finished the school. By the decree of the King of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, on 25th October 1923, The Lower Ivanjica Grammar School was converted into The Private Municipal Grammar School, and from 1925, into the state school, which worked until 1929. For the next eight years, there was no education in Ivanjica after the completion of a four-year primary school. In the school year 1937/1938, a four-year Vocational and Industrial State Civil School was opened, which continually worked during the Second World War. After the liberation, in 1945, it was renamed into the Incomplete Mixed Grammar School. The seven-year school in Ivanjica was opened in 1948 by merging the Incomplete Mixed Grammar School and Ivanjica primary school. After two school years, these schools were divided, so a four-year primary school and an Incomplete Mixed Grammar School (with four years) were established.

Finally, on 26th September 1955, these two schools and the primary school of Šume Municipality were merged, thus creating the eight-year school Milinko Kušić. Its first headteacher was Ugrin Ćurčić. At that time, the school worked on two locations: in the building of Ivanjica primary school in the town center and in Šume Municipality school building on the right bank of the Moravica River. Already in 1957, four-year primary schools in Bukovica and Raščići, the urban neighborhoods of Ivanjica, were merged, but they were separated in 1960. In accordance with the tendencies, schools in the urban neighborhood of Bukovica (founded in 1945), the village of Lisa (1869), the village of Raščići (1947), the village of Budoželja (1934), the village of Luke (1874) and the village of Osonica (1935) were integrated into the primary school Milinko Kušić. The first three are still within the primary school Milinko Kušić, while the other three were joined to the primary school Kirilo Savić in 1997 when another Ivanjica primary school was established in the urban neighborhood of Crnjevo.

By completing the construction of the first pavilion at the site of the former Šume Municipality School, the school started working in the new building in October 1961, while retaining the use of some premises in the old building. However, in June 1962 the ownership of the school building at the center of Ivanjica was transferred to the School Centre.

In January 1964, another pavilion, which the school did not use for a long time, was moved to the newly opened Grammar School. Then they started building the third pavilion, and the first and the third pavilions were finally joined in 1978, and since then the school building has had the present look.

The very strong industrial development of Ivanjica from the 1970s to the 1990s led to significant migrations of the population from mountain villages to the town. As a result, the number of students at the single primary school increased rapidly. In the mid - 1990s, there were 2.650 students in the primary school Milinko Kušić, so there were three shifts and the number of teachers was such that the meetings of the Teachers Council were held in shifts, too. At the time, there were more than a thousand excellent students in one school year. After the opening of another primary school, the primary school Kirilo Savić, the number of students almost halved. In that period, the headteachers who were at the head of the school with the long management experience were: Nikola Јuković (12 years), Milorad Jevremović (10 years), Veselin Tošović (20 years) and Stevan Davidović (10 years).

Ivanjica primary school children are particularly proud of their school magazines. The first students’ magazine Javor (Maple) was published from the school year 1959 / 1960 until the school year 1966 / 1967. After the break, Dečije novine (the magazine for school children) appeared, which was published only in the school year 1970 / 1971. Certainly, the most important school magazine is Žuborenja (Bubbling) whose printing was started in the school year 1973 / 1974 and it has been on the rise for more than four decades (up to now 132 numbers in more than 230.000 copies have been published). This school magazine has been received the most notable recognitions.

The primary school Milinko Kušić has successfully hosted numerous competitions in the knowledge and skills of the primary school students, among which are the following: The Fifth Games of Yugoslavian Pioneers (in 1962), The Primary Schools Students State Championship (in 1977), The State Competition Nauku mladima (Science to the Young) (in 1982), The State Physics Competition (in 2009), The State History Competition (in 2010 and in 2016), etc. For its work and success in the education and upbringing of the youngest,the school earned several important awards, such as: September Award of Ivanjica Municipal Assembly (in 1975), The Silver Plaque of The Association of Admirers of Warriors of Serbian Liberation Wars of Yugoslavia (in 1978), The State Award May 25th (in 1978), the prestigious Saint Sava Award of The Republic of Serbia (in 2016) given by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development for contribution to the quality of education in Serbia and others.

More than 20,000 pupils have finished this school and they have been taught by approximately 600 teachers. The school is well equipped, with one of the largest school libraries in the Moravica District, numerous sports fields and rooms for learning and socializing. Its excellent competitors are also the pride of the school - pupils who have drawn the attention of the general public competing in scientific, artistic and sports disciplines. However, its former students are who this school is known for and who it is proud of, many of whom have become famous and recognized, proving themselves as the top experts in the areas they dealt with or deal with.

О школи

Основна школа ''Милинко Kушић'' наставља традицију основне школе из Ивањице, отворене 1834. године и основне школе Шуме, отворене 1927. године. Решењем из 1955. године ове две школе спојене су у једну школу у осмогодишњем трајању. Убрзо затим ова школа добија данашње име, односно име народног хероја Милинка Kушића.

Радно време

Понедељак - петак: 07:00 - 15:00

© 2019 OŠ Milinko Kušić. Sva prava zadržana.

Search